And we are proud of it.
Okay, let us explain…
Plastic waste is a huge environmental problem. Take these eye-opening facts from the National Geographic:
- More than 5 trillion pieces of plastic are already floating in our oceans.
- 73 percent of beach litter is plastic: filters from cigarette butts, bottles, bottle caps, food wrappers, grocery bags, and polystyrene containers.
- World plastic production has increased exponentially from 2.1 million tonnes in 1950 to 147 million in 1993 to 406 million by 2015
- More than 40 percent of plastic is used just once, then tossed.
- Only around 7% of the plastic produced each year is currently recycled.
This is not good enough.
We decided that we had to play our part in the fight against this entirely man-made ecological disaster by championing the use of recycled plastic as a key material in our products.
We have partnered with a supplier of recycled plastic sheeting which is durable, sustainable and easy on the eye, incorporating it into our Thames coffee table range, with more designs to come.
Each sheet tells the tale of the thousands of individual pieces of plastic from which it is comprised – the CD cases, plastic cups, milk bottles, packing material, and food containers. Every time you order one of our products featuring recycled plastic not only do you receive a stylish and chic piece of furniture, you also take a stand against an environmental scourge, supporting an industry that was unimaginable a century ago, but which is absolutely vital now if we are to turn the tide.
Head over to The Shop to check out our full range.